In response to all the texts, voice messages, and tweets I received this weekend asking, “Dude, what did you do to Conan?!” (referring to Conan’s accident on Friday 9-28 where he hit his head and was taken to Cedars Sinai) – I WASN’T THERE. I was at home being domestic trying out a new cucumber salad recipe (which is a rarity in itself that I was trying to cook…albeit just a salad).
To clarify a few things, Yes…there are inherent risks to stunts – that’s why there is a field for professional stuntmen in our business. Yes…Conan has done some very difficult gags for our segments and there is always the risk of him getting hurt while doing these bits. If the safety of a stunt could be 100% guaranteed, then all actors would do it themselves. That being said, I genuinely put Conan on a very short list of actors that have the nuts, coordination, and desire (I think he likes doing it?) to actually do many of their own stunts. Regardless, the recent accident that took place during a comedy sketch with Teri Hatcher did not happen on my watch and I hear that Conan is okay and back on tonight.
Now, back to lunch. Here’s the recipe of the Thai Cucumber salad I found online at Recipe Zaar.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 cucumber, sliced and seeded
- 1/2 onion, yellow sweet, sliced thin
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh chopped
- 6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Mix water, vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- In a serving bowl arrange the cucumber, pepper, cilantro, and onion in layers.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the salad.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.